Summer weather is here and with that comes some new challenges to creating outfits that feel comfortable and chic. Much like the rest of the year, I rely heavily on basics to keep things as versatile as possible, and then use shoes, bags and accessories to keep my simple looks feeling fresh and interesting. Today I’m sharing 5 minimalist looks to help inspire your summer style. I also created a 16-piece mini capsule wardrobe for you with some of my favorite summer basics from Everlane, and each outfit in this post was created using pieces from the capsule.
Thank you for sponsoring this post, Everlane!
FIRST UP, 5 OUTFIT IDEAS…
OUTFIT 1: White mesh sweater + cutoff shorts + woven mules + woven bag
OUTFIT 2: White tank + light wash jeans + slide sandals + hat + large woven tote
OUTFIT 3: Black tank + tan pull on shorts + woven slides + red bag
OUTFIT 4: Linen button-down + denim skirt + brown sandals + striped crossbody
OUTFIT 5: Tan button-down + white jeans + leopard mules + black bag
AND NOW, THE MINI CAPSULE…
I’ll link everything for you below and offer some sizing tips for anything that isn’t true to size. A few of the items in this capsule are new this month, but many of the items are pieces I’ve had for a while and already gotten tons of wear out of.
This mini capsule is all about the basics (notice the black, white, tan and denim theme happening?). It’s minimalist and simple and features 16 pieces from Everlane (gifted). I don’t like to include shoes and accessories in the capsule because that’s really where you can change up the look easily. I feel more free and creative with capsules when I let myself have access to whatever shoes and bags feel right for the look I want!
- Mesh sweater. This is a new addition and I’m so glad I finally got it. I hesitated because I already have this similar cotton one, but I love the light and airy open weave for summer.
- Black lantern blouse. I’ve had this since last summer and it’s so good I have it in white, too. A white button down is one of my very favorite wardrobe items, and I love this feminine take on an otherwise more masculine piece. It runs big, so I recommend sizing down.
- White blouse. This is so lightweight for summer and a great alternative to a tank top on a hot day. It runs big, so size down. And to reduce the sheerness, I recommend wearing a bra that matches your skin color so it doesn’t show through.
- Silk striped button down. Stripes worn all year, but I find I reach for them the most in the summer. This top is roomy and has a boxy shape. You could size down or go with the smaller end of your typical size range.
- Tan button down. I especially love to pair tan with white in the warmer months for a more tonal look. This runs big and I sized down.
- Black tank. This fits fairly true to size, but if anything it’s on the smaller end. You could size up for a more oversized fit.
- White tank. This fits fairly true to size, but if anything it’s on the smaller end. You could size up for a more oversized fit.
- Black cami. I got this over the holidays as a dressy option for dates and get-togethers, and I’ve been pleased with how well it works all year. It does run a bit small so go with the larger end of your size range or size up.
- Linen button down. Linen is a no-brainer for summer. This has a classic (vs. oversized) fit.
- Denim skirt. This 100% cotton denim skirt runs a bit small—I recommend sizing up, especially if you’re curvy, so it doesn’t ride up when you walk.
- Tan pull on shorts. A great alternative to denim shorts! They do run a bit small, so go with the larger end of your size range or size up. Also available in a longer length here.
- Distressed denim shorts. I just got these and am having fun experimenting with a longer inseam. They are 100% cotton with no stretch. I tried my usual size and a size up and stuck with my usual size, even though I always size up in shorts. I do still have a gap at the waist for my curvy shape, but the thighs fit well. The wash and denim quality are really great.
- Linen jumpsuit. One of my all-time favorite wardrobe pieces! My black linen jumpsuit gets more wear than any other jumpsuit I have. I sized down in mine, but my taller friends recommend staying true to size or sizing up for more torso length. The straps are adjustable, too! Want your shoulders covered? Here’s a short sleeve version, which is also nursing friendly with the front buttons. You could even get a size up to wear during pregnancy and then have it as a cute postpartum outfit option.
- White jeans. These are the same jeans as above, but in the regular fit. I sized down and have the ankle length.
- Light wash jeans. These come in regular fit, too, but I am sporting the curvy fit in the photo above! I sized down and have the ankle length.
- Tan wide leg crops. High rise, soft and super comfortable. They’re a great summer pant because they don’t cling to your legs and are easy to move around in. I have them in the short length and the smaller end of my size range.