A black slip dress is a wardrobe summer staple that is both versatile and stylish. It can be dressed up or down, and truly looks great on everyone. Here are a few reasons why I believe a black slip dress is the only summer dress you really need:
- It’s versatile. You can dress a black slip dress up with heels and jewelry for a night out (or even a wedding), or you can dress it down with sandals and a denim jacket for a casual everyday or school drop-off look.
- It works for anyone. The sleek, minimalist design of a black slip dress looks incredible on every body type. Depending on the cut or whether you size up or down in the style, it can can accentuate your curves, elongate your figure, or offer the perfect oversized-yet-sexy silhouette.
- It’s comfortable. Black slip dresses are typically made from lightweight fabrics like silk or satin, which are perfect for hot summer days. They’re also loose-fitting, so you can move around freely without feeling restricted.
- It’s timeless. A black slip dress is a classic piece that will never go out of style. You can wear it year after year, and it will always look chic.
- It looks great with wet hair. This is very specific and perhaps not all of you will relate, but whether I’ve been swimming with my family or am just plain overheated, a wet bun is a common look for me in the hot summer months and I very much value clothing that looks good with this style. Just add some classic hoop earrings and it looks so elevated and chic.
Not sure how to style yours? Try these tips…
- Accessorize to make it your own. A black slip dress is a blank canvas, so you can really let your personality shine through with your accessories. Choose a great pair of earrings, layer your favorite necklaces, or add a bracelet or two to ensure the look feels like “you.”
- Add color and/or texture with bags. To keep minimalist looks from falling flat, texture and/or color is essential to add intot he mix — and a bag is the perfect way to do this!
- Layer with a blazer, cardigan or denim jacket. If you’re feeling chilly (or the A/C is running high!), a simple layer is easy to put on over your shoulders or through your arms. This will add some extra coverage while keeping your look feeling polished.
No matter how you style it, a black slip dress is a surefire way to look chic and stylish this summer. There are tons to choose from, but if you need a place to start, this one is my personal favorite — it’s from a female-founded brand, and ethically made in the USA with sustainable and lightweight merino wool. It fits true to size, but if you’re unsure or in between, I’d go with your larger size!