After weeks of testing it out, the time has finally come for me to share about the Cladwell Capsule App! I’m going to be as detailed and specific as possible since I know a lot of you are interested in it. So grab a cup of coffee and get ready for a bit more reading than you’re used to on this blog…
WHAT IS IT?
In a nutshell, the Cladwell app is a wardrobe app that helps you buy less stuff and wear more of what you already own. When you download it, you enter in all of the items in your wardrobe (more on that further down) so you have a virtual closet of sorts. That alone is amazing because it’s just so much easier for me to see what I have to work with all in one place. Once you’ve input your clothes, the app will offer daily outfit ideas, let you see possibly outfit combinations by selecting specific items you want to wear, show you which items you are wearing most often (or not wearing), and even let you create little capsule wardrobes, whether for everyday life or even for travel! Bonus: when you give the app permission to know your location, it’ll select 3 daily outfit options for you based on the weather for the day so the outfits make sense and aren’t totally random. Lastly, you can also set things aside in “storage” on the app (like bulky jackets or sweaters during the summer).
HOW DO YOU ADD ALL YOUR CLOTHES?
This is probably the question I got the most on Instagram! The app has thousands of pre-loaded items for you to choose from and that’s definitely the quickest way to do it. When adding items to your closet on the app, you just choose what’s most similar to what you have for the easiest process. If you have something unique that just isn’t like anything on the app, you can easily just upload a photo of it against a white background or even an image of it you find online (I did that for all of my Madewell and J.Crew stuff).
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT
- Seeing my whole wardrobe in one place. There are so many items I’ve forgotten about simply because they are sort of tucked away in my closet.
- Sorting possible outfit combinations based on specific items is GENIUS. Sometimes I just have one item I am in the mood to wear but can’t figure out the rest of the outfit right away.
- Outfit ideas are surprisingly helpful. About 90% of the time I choose an outfit they’ve selected for me (sometimes with a small change like a shoe switch if I know I’ll be walking a lot, etc). The other 10% of the time I’ve filtered my closet to see possible outfit combinations that include one or two items I know I want to wear (like a sweater blazer and mule loafers) and gotten some fresh ideas from that.
- Logging daily outfits helps me see what I’m really wearing and gravitating toward in this season of life.
- The ability to create capsule wardrobes is seriously so helpful for travel (see below)! We went away for Easter and it made packing a breeze! Normally it takes me about an hour the night before I leave because I try everything on and see how it fits and works together, but now I can just select items from my closet (all of which I know I love because I’ve edited out the items that don’t fit or I don’t like) and then let it generate the possible outfits for me to wear on the trip. Genius.
- You can quickly see how much of your wardrobe you’ve actually worn, which is rather enlightening.
WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED
- I would love to be able to log multiple outfits for the day, like a daytime #legitmomstyle look then a date night outfit later. It’s not a huge deal, but at least once a week I do a date with my husband and I would love to have some outfit ideas for those nights and also be able to log what I end up wearing so I can get a better idea of what I really am wearing.
- I want to be able to include accessories in my outfits because they can make or break an outfit! At least being able to add in hats, sunnies & bags would be great. Maybe one day!
- It should be easier to add and edit “favorite” outfits. Right now the only way to do so is the day you are wearing that outfit, right before you log it for the day, and there isn’t a way to delete outfits from your favorites once they’re added. Ideally I could easily edit the collection of favorite outfits, and add any of the “possible outfits” from what’s in my closet as a favorite outfit if I want.
- I want the ability to change location for the day (or at least for “tomorrow’s outfits”, which would especially be helpful for travel capsule planning.
- I want to be able to create a capsule based on the items I’ve worn for a set amount of time.
MY FEELINGS OVERALL
I genuinely LOVE the app and will continue to use it. Yes, it took a long time to fully get my clothes added to the app (like, HOURS), but now that it’s done I really have such a better grasp on what I have to wear and definitely get dressed much quicker than I used to. I’m also less tempted to shop and I’m wearing a lot of things I had forgotten I owned. Shopping less yet wearing more of my stuff—it’s great!