I have a love/hate relationship with the Nordstrom Sale (and really any over-hyped big sales out there). I don’t like the way they make people panic, buy things they don’t need or feel like they’re missing out if they don’t have the budget to spend on clothing right now. With that in mind, I’ve decided to round up the most classic, versatile items from the Nordstrom sale to help you navigate your shopping if you choose to buy anything.
Not shopping the sale? No worries—you’ll be fine, and there’s always another sale. Don’t spend if it’s not the right time for you or if you don’t have any gaps in your wardrobe!
The earliest shopping access starts Tuesday (8/4) and there are 2 more levels of early shopping access before all cardholders can start shopping on August 13th. The sale opens to the public on August 19th, and then the prices go up on August 31st. To know when you can start shopping, just log into your Nordstrom account and they’ll tell you!
Here are my top style-related picks from this year’s sale (I’ll keep updating it if they add more things!). I’ve divided everything up into categories so it’s easier to find what you’re looking for…
TOPS, SWEATERS + JACKETS
- Madewell Classic Ex-Boyfriend Shirt. An oversized button-down in a classic light stripe.
- Madewell Kimono Cardigan. Okay, I want this for myself!! It’s so beautiful and timeless and the shape makes it cool and interesting.
- Treasure & Bond Longline Cardigan. I especially love the cream color because it gives me Jenni Kayne vibes, and it also comes in plus!
- Treasure & Bond Leather Biker Jacket. A leather jacket is always in style and adds instant edge to anything. This looks so similar to my favorite Madewell leather jacket, but with the sale price it’s hundreds of dollars less. They recommend sizing up in this one.
- J.Crew Sweater Bomber. A soft and comfy take on a classic jacket shape. Also comes in leopard with black detailing.
- Treasure & Bond Black Crewneck Pullover. This one is on my personal wish list to pair with black leggings for fall. It looks long enough to cover the bum (at least for me at 5’4″) and I love the side slit. The rust color is my second choice, and it also comes in light blue and light pink.
BOTTOMS + DRESSES
- Spanx Faux Leather Leggings. Have them, love them, wear them all the time in the fall and winter months! I recommend going up a size in these if you can. Also available in petite and plus as part of the sale. I may order the petite length to try finally!
- Madewell Cali High Waist Demi Boot Jeans. Wear these vintage-inspired jeans in the summer with sandals and in the fall and winter with sock booties. Available in sizes 23-37 in regular length with a raw hem that could easily be cut shorter if you need them more cropped. (Here’s a great DIY for that)
- Levi’s High Waist Crop Jeans. These 100% cotton jeans look like perfect “mom jeans” to me.
- Levi’s Ribcage High Waist Cropped Jeans. These are described as “straight leg” but look like a slim wide leg to me. Great with sandals now and sock booties later when it cools down.
- Rag & Bone High Waist Skinny Jeans. A classic skinny jean in a mid-wash blue.
- ALLSAINTS Two-Piece Sweater + Slip Dress. Wear them together, wear them separate. This two-piece set is so beautiful and versatile and I love the colors. Putting this set on my wishlist for sure!
SHOES + BOOTS
- White Veja Espelar Sneakers. I love a classic white sneaker all year round. They’re crafted from leather sourced from Rio Grande do Sul farms and tanned according to REACH norms. The lining is made from organic cotton and the soles are wild Amazonian rubber.
- Madewell Cheetah Calf Hair Mules. I’m very loyal to my Jenni Kayne cheetah mules, but I have to say these are a really great alternative for a great price!
- Steve Madden Black Pointed Toe Mules. A less expensive take on the classic Gucci mules, these are a great laid-back yet elevated shoe for fall.
- SARTO Pointed Toe Loafer. Specifically, the python ones are what I’m talking about. They make a statement and add visual interest to simple looks, plus the pattern is timeless.
- Steve Madden Leopard Calf Hair Loafer. This pointed toe loafer is an easy way to incorporate neutral pattern into fall and winter clothes.
- Marc Fisher Pointed Toe Bootie. This is such a gorgeous boot for fall and winter. I especially love the black leather and the cognac suede.
- 42 Gold Block Heel Sandals. Available in several neutral options that pair with pretty much everything.
- Botkier Block Heel Pumps. Black block heeled pumps are the easiest way to take everyday clothes into dressier settings. I love these in black suede!
- Clare V Leopard Midi Bag. This is probably my favorite style from Clare V and I have a few of these bags in different patterns. I love the leopard pattern on the suede, and it comes with my favorite black and white webbing strap (which you can remove and add to other bags with removable straps).
- Clare V Leopard Simple Tote. I have this tote in solid tan suede from last year’s sale and it’s just such a classic (as is this leopard print!). It comes with a short black and white webbing strap (which you can remove and add to other bags with removable straps).
- Madewell Spotted Crossbody. I have this size tote from Madewell in a different colorway and it’s a really great size for everyday essentials. The spotted calf hair is beautiful and classic, and easily adds pattern to really simple outfits.
Are you shopping the sale this year? What’s on your wish list?