Brian and I are heading to Big Sur this weekend—just the two of us!—and it’s a trip we’ve been looking forward to for a long time. Ever since I saw this post on Gal Meets Glam, I’ve had my heart set on one day staying at the Post Ranch Inn, and now that wish is coming true. I can’t wait!
One tricky thing about traveling is always deciding what to pack. You don’t want to pack too much, but also want to be sure you’re prepared for whatever comes your way. I always start by checking the weather a few days before we leave as well listing out our planned activities. I also always pack a swimsuit (literally always, haha)! To make packing and outfit planning simple, I use the free Cladwell app on my phone (you can read all about it here).
Get a 1-minute look at what’s in my bag and a few outfit ideas on my IGTV video, and then scroll down for all of the nitty gritty details, plus links!
It’s pretty much going to rain the whole time, haha. The good news? I love rain, I love clouds, and we are staying in an amazing room at an amazing hotel. Ever since I shared the forecast on Instagram I’ve gotten several messages from those of you who have visited Big Sur in the rain or live up there and all of you have assured me it’s still going to be great. Plus, a rainy getaway can be super romantic, so it’s not all bad that there will be rain! Consider this post a little guide to dressing for rainy weather in style.
WHAT I’M PACKING
Layering is going to be key, since it’ll be chilly and rainy. I have 11 core items I’ll rotate through while we’re there—some are part of my March Capsule, but some aren’t:
- Olive rain jacket (also similar)
- Brown sherpa coat (also similar)
- Black cashmere crewneck sweater
- Yellow balloon sleeve sweater
- Black turtleneck
- White sleeveless button down
- Black skinny jeans
- Dark wash skinny jeans
- Leopard ankle boots (and similar)
- Black mule loafers (love these too)
- Dark neutral rain boots
In addition to those core items, I’m packing these extra essentials:
- Red bikini (top / bottom) and gold sandals, because hot tubbing is a must
- White pom pom beanie (similar) and baseball cap (similar) in case the cold and rain gets the best of me
- Leopard scarf for warmth, but also as an optional accessory
- Jewelry! Specifically my Julia Earrings in Geometric Mix, Chloe Coin Necklace, Silhouette Locket from Family Print Shop and Emma Hoop Earrings in Brass Circle
Here are a few outfit options I’ll be able to work with (though I imagine I’ll be in my bikini or my robe about 95% of the time, haha.):
Plus, can’t forget my swimsuit! As I said, I always pack a swimsuit, and since we know their pool and hot tub situation is fabulous, we’ll definitely be needing swimwear. I recently snagged this red bikini at Target and it’s seriously SO GOOD. I love the fit so much I even ordered it in the cheetah print. Size-wise, I’d say it’s TTS (I got the small top and medium bottoms).
I promise to share TONS about our trip—both on Instagram and also in a recap post here on the blog. Feel free to leave any questions below about traveling to Big Sur, packing for a trip or dressing for rainy weather…